retrEAT is a UK blog, based in Sussex, focused on celebrating the beauty of Sussex – incorporating well produced, nutritious food as well as simple recipes for the home cook, some home products and interiors, plus retreats further afield.
The curator of this blog is me, Emma Gutteridge – a professional photographer based in Sussex. I have a background in publishing and I’m also fully trained in nutritional therapy (3 intense years of study with the amazing CNM). Training in nutrition changed my life in so many ways but mainly the positive change in my own personal battle with anxiety and fluctuating moods was so insanely great.
This blog is all about celebrating a healthy but beautiful way of life in Sussex. You’ll find recipes on this blog that are anti inflammatory and arthritis friendly. I had a car accident 7 years ago and for 6 years I lived with chronic arthritis and ankle and back pain until my ankle fusion last year (and never looking back!).
I recognise a need for us to find some time to look after ourselves in our increasingly busy lives – when I came to the end of my busiest work year as a photographer, working 7 days a week and most days until 9pm I needed to take stock and realise that the obsession for perfection was causing me problems with my body and mind. I moved from the city into the market town of Lewes and embraced a whole new lifestyle with Monty, my joyful labrador, and a Fitbit! I’m still pretty busy but I’ve learned to spot the signs of being stretched and I make the time every day to walk the dog and do something nourishing for me.
So this blog aims to focus on the following:
- easy and quick healthy recipes
- cruelty and chemical free beauty and skincare
- informative information about food – I think it’s extremely important to know about our food and what it does for it
- spotlights on amazing Sussex businesses (and sometimes further afield)
And my five principles of Retreat living:
- tap into the magic of food so preparing meals becomes a thing of love, not a chore
- create a cozy home that is relaxing but not so well groomed it’s impossible to keep looking pristine
- swap mindless social media time for time to enrich yourself and your relationships
- make informed choices about buying food and the origins of it
- nourish – with good food, good organic skincare and nurturing sights and sounds
Pull up a chair, hug that tea and have a good poke around the site. I hope you enjoy your time here!
I am open to collaborations or hearing your feature suggestions – please get in touch via the contact form and if your product or project fits with my ethos we can talk further. Please note I attempt to knowingly only feature natural/organic skincare that isn’t tested on animals. I have a particular interest in traditional Sussex businesses who, despite the modern day struggles they face, are sticking true to their values.